Answer the questions below to find out what you know about the health effects of drug abuse and addiction.
1. A prescription medication
a. is always safe because a doctor prescribes it.
b. is safe to take, even if prescribed for someone else, as long as you have the same symptoms.
c. is safe to take, even if prescribed for someone else, as long as you follow the directions.
d. is not safe for you if it has not been prescribed for you.
2. Diseased gums and teeth can result from
3. Which of the following can be a harmful effect of opioids like Vicodin® and OxyContin®?
a. "meth mouth"
b. severe respiratory depression
c. bone-marrow damage
d. hearing loss
4. Blackouts, hearing loss, and liver, kidney, and bone-marrow damage are effects of
5. Premature aging of the skin can result from use of
6. Effects of drug abuse can occur
a. when drugs are used at high doses
b. after prolonged use of drugs
c. after one use
d. any of the above
7. The risk of contracting HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, and other infectious diseases is greatly increased by
a. injection drug use
b. risky behavior due to drug abuse
c. both a and b
d. none of the above
8. The main chemical found in tobacco that causes addiction is
9. More than half of people addicted to drugs have also had some form of mental illness.
10. Drug abuse is linked to the top medical problems in the United States.