Use what you've learned from reading the article to answer the questions below.
Fill in the Blank
1. Acting before thinking something through happens more often in _______________ than in adults.
2. Decisions stem from a series of events in the _______________, which happen almost instantaneously.
3. Specialized cells called _______________ talk with each other by way of electrochemical impulses and chemical messengers called _______________.
4. Since the limbic system matures earlier than the _______________, it is more likely to gain an upper hand in decision making. This imbalance helps to explain a teen's inclination to rush decisions.
5. Inside the brain, information travels through a network of neurons, which have thread-like fibers called _______________ and branch-like structures called _______________.
6. A _______________ is the small space between an axon and a dendrite where information is exchanged.
True or False
7. The brain reaches its maximum size between ages 5 and 7.
8. Brain development continues through a person's early twenties.
9. Myelination boosts the brain's efficiency because it increases the speed of a signal traveling down an axon by up to 100 times.
10. Synaptic pruning increases the number of synapses.
11. Teens have the potential, through their choices and the behaviors they engage in, to shape their own brain development.
12. The prefrontal cortex, a key brain region located directly behind your forehead, is an important control center for:
a. thinking ahead and sizing up risks and rewards.
b. coordinating motor responses and keeping your balance.
c. mounting an emotional response to stimuli.
d. responding to loud noises.
13. The limbic system, a part of the brain that matures earlier than the prefrontal cortex, plays a central role in:
b. speaking foreign languages.
c. emotional responses.
d. thinking ahead.