Answer the questions below to find out what you know about tobacco addiction and secondhand smoke. For multiple-choice questions, there may be more than one correct answer.
1. The addictive ingredient in tobacco is
2. Cigarette smoking accounts for how many of all cancer deaths:
3. The pleasurable effects of nicotine
a. are long-lasting.
b. last an hour.
c. last a few minutes.
d. last 10 seconds.
4. Smoking harms
a. only the lungs.
b. only the brain.
c. only the liver.
d. every organ in the body.
5. In infants and children, secondhand smoke is a known cause of
a. sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
b. respiratory problems and ear infections.
c. asthma attacks.
d. all of the above.
6. A 2005 survey of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders shows that compared with students in previous years
a. more students disapprove of smoking.
b. fewer students are smoking.
c. more students are smoking.
d. fewer students disapprove of smoking.
7. The following can fully protect you against secondhand smoke
a. opening a window
b. sitting in a separate area
c. using ventilation or air conditioning
d. none of the above
8. An ingredient in tobacco, acetaldehyde, probably works with nicotine in addicting adolescents, in particular, to tobacco.
9. Adolescents are more likely to become addicted to tobacco than adults.
10. People trying to quit smoking have withdrawal symptoms.