What Do You Know About the Science of Addiction?
First published 2006. To view the latest Heads Up content, click here.
Answer the questions below to find out what you know about drugs and drug addiction. For multiple-choice questions, there may be more than one answer.
1. Drug addiction can be defined as
a. a bad habit.
b. the use of illegal drugs.
c. a chronic, relapsing disease.
d. a complex and developmental disease.
2. Which of the following are characteristics of the disease of drug addiction?
a. compulsive drug seeking
b. neurochemical changes in the brain
c. molecular changes in the brain
d. all of the above
3. The brain recognizes the prescription drug OxyContin in the same way that it recognizes
4. The disease of drug addiction is associated with
b. viral hepatitis.
c. mental disorders.
d. none of the above.
5. The prefrontal cortex—located just behind the forehead—is the part of the brain that governs
a. judgment and decision-making.
6. The PET in “PET scans” stands for
a. positron emission tomography.
b. proton emulsion tomography.
c. positron emission temperature.
d. proton-electron temperature.
7. Which of the following is a factor in whether someone becomes addicted to drugs?
c. age of first use
d. none of the above
8. Exposure to drugs during the teen years may affect the likelihood of someone becoming an addict in the future.
9. Anyone who sells medications prescribed to them could be called a drug dealer and is subject to criminal prosecution.
10. People, places, and things related to a particular drug experience can, at a later time, trigger another drug experience.